Sunday, March 29, 2015

Life as seen through this regular guy's eyes

I recently went to the movies with my family. I went intending to get nothing out of it except a little time with the family, and especially as a treat for my 7 year old daughter. We don't go to the movies that often, and this was a special family outing. We went to see the movie 'Cinderella'.

I must admit, I was shocked by the beauty of this movie. I believe that Disney (the actors, directors, screen writers, etc.), has done a wonderful job with this film. I was amazed to see something this good from Disney. I am writing this blog to highly recommend that everyone should see Cinderella. Yes, it is that good. Mothers should take their daughters, whether they are 5 or 50. Yes, fathers should take their sons, or sons should take their fathers. This movie is for everyone. It's not a fairy tale cartoon anymore. It is a real life story that we all can relate to. I dare you to watch this movie and not think of someone you know who fits into the situations portrayed through the characters in the film, and maybe you will even find yourself in this film.

After viewing the film my family, we could not stop talking about it. We spent the next hour or so discussing the movie. Remember my daughter is only 7, and to get her engaged in a long conversation about anything but herself or her toys is quite a task. This movie was the catalyst for a great conversation. To that end, I have written a series of questions to ponder both before viewing and after. Questions for adults and/or children. I hope that through these questions you can engage in a great conversation about some of the most important things in life. Things like, dealing with tragic events and searching for happiness and life ever after. I sincerely believe this movie can act as a starting point for talking about these deep truths of our humanity.

Father Robert Barron of wordonfire.org has a wonderful review of this movie which reaches into the depth of the Christian symbolism within this movie. His review can be a spoiler though, so watch it accordingly. But one of the simplest ways to find God in the world is to immerse yourself in what is true, good, and beautiful. I believe that this movie is full of truth, goodness, and beauty. In those 3 characteristics you can find so much that relates to our God. I will list a few examples here without giving away too much of the plot and surprises within this film. Remember this is not your bippity-boppity-boo cartoon. I am not critiquing that classic Disney film, but I am saying that this film is a much different telling of the same great classic fairy tale story. At least in my eyes, this film touches on much more of the real drama in our own human lives. These are real characters we can relate too.

Here are a few examples of where I found truth, goodness, and/or beauty in this film:

The grace of costume and character, and the enormousness of the scene at the ball where Cinderella enters. Think of a modern 'Gone With the Wind' spiral staircase scene in front of the whole world.

The depth of love between a father and son in the scene of the king's death. This is a heroic love.

The respect and honor shown by the prince for his father, the king. Don't we all wish our own children showed this kind of respect.

The incredible carriage that Cinderella rides to the ball in.

The idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The enduring goodness and love of a parent who cannot be present due to death or other circumstances.

That envy can rob a person of their dignity and destroy their own self worth.


These are just a few ways that I found goodness, truth, and beauty in this movie. I think it would be a great idea to make your own list.

I entirely expect that some of you attend movies just looking for an hour or two of down time, and you turn off your brain and veg for awhile. While I believe that relaxation is necessary sometimes, I do not encourage that type of attitude with this film. It has so much depth.

I encourage everyone to go and see this movie. Read the pre-movie questions below before the movie and then be prepared to discuss afterward. I believe you will have a great conversation (way too rare these days) as a result of your open-mindedness.

Here are a few things to think about before the movie, if you are bringing others and you hope for an engaging conversation afterwards, it would be a good idea to talk about these things before the movie:

1. Try to find goodness, truth, and beauty in the movie and be prepared to share your examples after the movie.

2.  The movie is full of tragedy and death. Please identify 4 different deaths and how others were effected by these circumstances. What were the outcomes in the lives of the survivors?

3. Pay close attention to the ending. What is so profound in the end? Who lives happily ever after? For those who do not live happily ever after, where do they go and how/why do they have this fate?

4. Who do you know in real life that has faced tragedy in their live and how did that effect them? Does it still effect them?

5. To whom does the invitation go out to attend the ball? To whom is the opportunity for a happily-ever-after life extended? Is anyone excluded from the invitation?

 ______________________________________________________________________________

After the movie I encourage you to discuss the above 4 ideas and/or these topics/questions.

1. Where was true love (self-sacrificing gift of self for the good of the other) present in the movie?

2. How is parental love expressed in the movie and how is that similar/different from my own personal experience of love with my parents?

3. What is 'ugly' in the movie? Which characters, or what actions are 'ugly'? Do I know people who sometimes behave like that? How do I handle those situations?

4. If you could pick one moment in the movie in which you were emotionally touched, which moment would you pick and why?

These are just a few stepping stones on which to begin your conversations. I believe that they are applicable to both adults and children. I also would encourage all of you to post comments to this blog with any thoughts you have about this movie. Do you agree with me or disagree? How did you enjoy the movie and/or the conversations that came out of it?

I believe in the goodness of each and every person. God created each of us for Himself. We are all created by a great God, for an eternal greatness . But each of us is also fallen. Tragedy has struck in our lives and we have separated ourselves from a relationship with God. But God is calling each of us out of the ashes and brokenness of our lives. He asks each of us to rise up and be kind to others despite our circumstances. With His help and grace we do not have to live in brokenness and sin but can rise above. He is reaching out to each of us to live with Him in a happily-ever-after eternity. He loves each of us with an even greater love than a father/mother has for their child.

This movie will help you to think about these eternal realities. We are each created to live forever. It's not just a fairy tale, it's real life we are living and there are consequences for our actions and or inactions.

May God bless you and may you always act with kindness and courage.

1 comment:

  1. Thru all your challenges you have kept a positive view. Always a smile. You have been a shining example of Christ on earth in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete